WITH HOPE THAT THE COVID-19 CRISIS IS SUFFICIENTLY CONTROLLED IN TIME TO ALLOW OUR JULY "PLAYOFFS" SHORT PLAY FESTIVAL... PCSF is now accepting submissions of 10 minute plays for possible inclusion in our July short plays reading festival, PlayOffs 2020.
Submissions are open to PCSF members in good standing through April 2020 -- this submission opportunity is not open to non-PCSF members. (If you would like to join PCSF, you can use the membership payment option at the bottom of the form.)
Please carefully read the submission rules and criteria (below), and choose ONE play to submit that meets these rules and criteria. All submitted plays will be read and screened to ensure that they meet the submission rules and criteria. Any play that does not adhere to these requirements will not be accepted for a PlayOffs reading.
Because there are a limited number of reading slots available for the Playoffs festival, there will be a random drawing from all accepted plays to choose the plays that will be included in the 3-week PlayOffs festival.
General Info About PCSF PlayOffs:
The festival showcases 10-minute plays by PCSF members. It consists of three weekly "rounds" of staged readings. Each weekly round will feature 7 to 9 plays depending on the total number of accepted plays. (The exact number of plays in each weekly round will be determined after the submission window closes).
“PlayOff” Plays are randomly assigned to the weekly round in which they will be performed. The show order in which they are performed during the round will also be randomly assigned.
Each round includes two matinee performances, and after each performance, the audience will vote for their favorite three plays from that round. The top two vote-getters from each round (six plays) will be fully produced in October in our PCSF Best Short Plays of 2020 production.
Additionally, the two plays from each round that were "runners-up" (3rd and 4th place votes) will be considered for inclusion in the October production. These six runners-up will be re-read and evaluated by the directors and producers of the October production, who will choose two of these six plays. These "Critical Choice" plays will be added to the six Audience Choice selections and be fully produced in an evening of eight short plays.
RULES AND REQUIRED CRITERIA FOR PLAYOFFS SUBMISSION
To help you select which of your plays to submit for consideration, here are the details:
- Submission Deadline: April 19, 2020, 11:59 p.m.
- Selections Announced: May 20, 2020
- Performances: July 11 - 25, 2020 (plays will be randomly assigned to one of three weeks)
- Venue: Shelton Theatre, San Francisco
- No theme! We want to showcase the best work PCSF members have without thematic limits.
Guidelines for submitting your play
- Only PCSF members are eligible. Membership must be in good standing through May 31, 2020 for your play to be considered. (Not a member yet? You can use the membership payment option at the bottom of this form. Not sure? Contact email@example.com to confirm your membership status. )
- Make it good, tight and well-structured! We want plays that are rehearsal-ready, and that are anchored by compelling character-driven story lines. We want your best work. Tip: take it to Scene Night for feedback before submitting. We reserve the right to reject any play that is not sufficiently ready to be shown before a paying audience.
- Plays must be unproduced in the Bay Area in the last two years. We want plays that your friends and fans (and total strangers) will be eager to come see, so please no submissions of plays which local audiences have seen recently.
- Keep the set, sound and costume requirements to a minimum! As a basic framework, assume modular or generic set pieces, simple chairs, and a table. Don't force us to turn away your amazing play because we can't reasonably produce it.
- Plays must not require more than 4 actors, and no more than 3 actors of the same gender. And within reason be as flexible as you can about the casting. We use a diverse ensemble cast but the number of actors is limited, and not all demographics may be represented. Don't force us to turn away your amazing play because we can't reasonably cast it.
- Plays must run between 8 to 10 minutes. Time your play before you submit! We mean it! We recommend no more than 8 pages. (8 pages typically has a run time of 8-12 minutes) If your play is obviously going to run longer than 10 minutes, we will not accept it.
- One play limit. Playwrights can submit ONE play. Send us your best!
- Sorry, but we cannot accept musicals, children’s plays, or translations/adaptations.
Please understand the following playwright responsibilities before submitting:
For questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org