For the last three years, our year-end production of short plays has been known as the “PCSF Playoffs”. This year, it will be replaced by a “PCSF Best Short Plays 2019” showcase in October.
PCSF Best Short Plays 2019 is a fully produced showcase of short plays written by PCSF members, performed by an ensemble local cast, and directed by two local directors.
The showcase will feature a full production of nine, 10-minute plays. Six of these plays will be chosen from the plays submitted here, after evaluation by a selection committee. (The remaining three slots for the October “Best Short Plays” production will be chosen during a separate three-week “Playoffs” reading festival in July.)
To help you select which of your plays to submit for consideration, here are the details:
- Submissions Open: January 20, 2019, 12:01 a.m.
- Submission Deadline: Feb 24, 2019, 11:59 p.m.
- Submit a Play: using the Submittable form
- Selections Announced: April 22nd, 2019
- Performances: October 2019 (exact dates TBD)
- Venue: Shelton Theatre
- No theme! We want to showcase the best work PCSF members have without thematic limits.
- Best Play 2019 Award: Audiences of the Oct showcase performances will vote for their favorite plays. The play with the most votes during the production run will be named "PCSF Best Short Play 2019", and the playwright will be awarded $150. Two runners-up will each be awarded $50.
- Only PCSF members are eligible. Membership must be in good standing through April 24th, 2019 for your play to be considered. Not a member yet? Click here to become a member. Not sure? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your membership status.
- Make it good, tight and well-structured! We want plays that are rehearsal-ready, and that are anchored by compelling character-driven story lines. We want your best work. Tip: take it to Scene Night for feedback before submitting.
- Plays must be unproduced in the Bay Area in the last two years. We want plays that your friends and fans (and total strangers) will be eager to come see, so please no submissions of plays which local audiences have seen recently.
- Keep the set, sound and costume requirements to a minimum! As a basic framework, assume modular or generic set pieces, simple chairs, and a table.
- Plays must not require more than 5 actors, and no more than 4 actors of the same gender. And within reason be as flexible as you can about the casting. We use a diverse ensemble cast but the number of actors is limited, and not all demographics may be represented. Don't force us to turn away your amazing play because we can't reasonably cast it.
- Plays must run between 8 to 10 minutes. Time your play before you submit! We mean it! We recommend no more than 8 pages. (8 pages typically has a run time of 8-12 minutes) If your play is obviously going to run longer than 10 minutes, we will not read it.
- One play limit. Playwrights can submit ONE play. Send us your best!
- Sorry, but we cannot accept musicals, children’s plays, or translations/adaptations.
- Please understand the following playwright responsibilities before submitting:
- Your participation in the development process is crucial! There will be 1 or 2 workshop readings that we request the playwrights attend, and we also ask that they attend at least 1 or 2 of the rehearsals and make themselves available to answer questions and assist the director in resolving issues encountered during rehearsal.
- PCSF will of course be promoting the show, but playwrights will generate the majority of audience attendance. Selected playwrights agree to market the event agressively to their contacts, friends and fans, in order to build audience size for the “PCSF Best Short Plays 2019” showcase.
- We may ask you to provide any unusual props or costumes required by your play.
- No critiques or evaluations will be provided.
- Use standard format guidelines (download the PDF or the Word template). And yes, we will check that the font size, margins and general rules about indented stage directions, etc. meet guidelines. Don’t try to cheat the margins or font size to make your play look shorter than it really is.
- We are using Submittable for submissions and tracking.
- Submit your play with the form below between January 20 and February 24, 2019. (Give yourself enough time to address login and internet fickleness! We do not manage your Submittable account or login information - you must go through the Submittable password reset or support to resolve login difficulties.)
- Give us one blind copy of the play in Microsoft Word or PDF. If you cannot submit via electronic submission, please let us know to make arrangements in advance. We do our best to make sure the selection committee doesn't know whose play they are reading. That means there should be nothing in the file that tells us who you are! Tip: To ensure your file really is blind, in the File menu, choose Properties, then wipe out your name that Word puts in there. Save the file, open it and check again.
- The automated notification you receive when submitting is your acknowledgement of receipt. If we have any guideline or other issues with the submission we will contact you as soon as possible.
By submitting the playwright agrees to the following:
- Submitting a script for consideration does not guarantee participation in the showcase.
- PCSF reserves the right to disregard submissions that do not meet the guidelines specified above.
- If selected, you will receive notification by email around April 22, 2019.
- The playwright allows PCSF and its production team to print and make copies of the work to be used in the selection process and in production, if chosen.
- Playwrights of selected plays agree to be included in the audience-voting process which will take place during the production run.
- If a selected playwright's membership does not run through at least October 2019, that playwright must renew membership to be included in the production. This renewal must be processed by July 31st.
- You will also receive a contract that must be signed and returned within the time-line indicated. If we do not receive the contract, we reserve the right to cancel the selection.
For questions please email email@example.com (do not send submissions to this email).