Welcome to the Playwrights' Center of San Francisco submissions site. We use this site for both PLAY submissions and general AUDITION management.
We generally make the submission periods open to submitters:
- Plays - 15-21 days before the deadline,
- Auditions - as soon as we announce the auditions.
To see the full guidelines and deadlines and to submit, see specific submission forms below.
For password and technical issues, please contact Submittable technical support.
For other issues or questions, please contact email@example.com [do not send submissions to this email address!]
*****THE SUBMISSION FORM WON'T WORK UNTIL THE SUBMISSION PERIOD HAS BEEN OPENED********
Last updated 03/19/2020
WITH HOPE THAT THE COVID-19 CRISIS IS SUFFICIENTLY CONTROLLED IN TIME TO ALLOW OUR JULY "PLAYOFFS" SHORT PLAY FESTIVAL... PCSF is now accepting submissions of 10 minute plays for possible inclusion in our July short plays reading festival, PlayOffs 2020.
Submissions are open to PCSF members in good standing through April 2020 -- this submission opportunity is not open to non-PCSF members. (If you would like to join PCSF, you can use the membership payment option at the bottom of the form.)
Please carefully read the submission rules and criteria (below), and choose ONE play to submit that meets these rules and criteria. All submitted plays will be read and screened to ensure that they meet the submission rules and criteria. Any play that does not adhere to these requirements will not be accepted for a PlayOffs reading.
Because there are a limited number of reading slots available for the Playoffs festival, there will be a random drawing from all accepted plays to choose the plays that will be included in the 3-week PlayOffs festival.
General Info About PCSF PlayOffs:
The festival showcases 10-minute plays by PCSF members. It consists of three weekly "rounds" of staged readings. Each weekly round will feature 7 to 9 plays depending on the total number of accepted plays. (The exact number of plays in each weekly round will be determined after the submission window closes).
“PlayOff” Plays are randomly assigned to the weekly round in which they will be performed. The show order in which they are performed during the round will also be randomly assigned.
Each round includes two matinee performances, and after each performance, the audience will vote for their favorite three plays from that round. The top two vote-getters from each round (six plays) will be fully produced in October in our PCSF Best Short Plays of 2020 production.
Additionally, the two plays from each round that were "runners-up" (3rd and 4th place votes) will be considered for inclusion in the October production. These six runners-up will be re-read and evaluated by the directors and producers of the October production, who will choose two of these six plays. These "Critical Choice" plays will be added to the six Audience Choice selections and be fully produced in an evening of eight short plays.
RULES AND REQUIRED CRITERIA FOR PLAYOFFS SUBMISSION
To help you select which of your plays to submit for consideration, here are the details:
- Submission Deadline: April 19, 2020, 11:59 p.m.
- Selections Announced: May 20, 2020
- Performances: July 11 - 25, 2020 (plays will be randomly assigned to one of three weeks)
- Venue: Shelton Theatre, San Francisco
- No theme! We want to showcase the best work PCSF members have without thematic limits.
Guidelines for submitting your play
- Only PCSF members are eligible. Membership must be in good standing through May 31, 2020 for your play to be considered. (Not a member yet? You can use the membership payment option at the bottom of this form. Not sure? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your membership status. )
- Make it good, tight and well-structured! We want plays that are rehearsal-ready, and that are anchored by compelling character-driven story lines. We want your best work. Tip: take it to Scene Night for feedback before submitting. We reserve the right to reject any play that is not sufficiently ready to be shown before a paying audience.
- Plays must be unproduced in the Bay Area in the last two years. We want plays that your friends and fans (and total strangers) will be eager to come see, so please no submissions of plays which local audiences have seen recently.
- Keep the set, sound and costume requirements to a minimum! As a basic framework, assume modular or generic set pieces, simple chairs, and a table. Don't force us to turn away your amazing play because we can't reasonably produce it.
- Plays must not require more than 4 actors, and no more than 3 actors of the same gender. And within reason be as flexible as you can about the casting. We use a diverse ensemble cast but the number of actors is limited, and not all demographics may be represented. Don't force us to turn away your amazing play because we can't reasonably cast it.
- Plays must run between 8 to 10 minutes. Time your play before you submit! We mean it! We recommend no more than 8 pages. (8 pages typically has a run time of 8-12 minutes) If your play is obviously going to run longer than 10 minutes, we will not accept it.
- One play limit. Playwrights can submit ONE play. Send us your best!
- Sorry, but we cannot accept musicals, children’s plays, or translations/adaptations.
Please understand the following playwright responsibilities before submitting:
- PCSF will of course be promoting the show, but playwrights will generate the majority of audience attendance. Selected playwrights agree to market the event aggressively to their contacts, friends and fans, in order to build audience size for the “PCSF PlayOffs" festival.
- No critiques or evaluations will be provided.
- Use standard format guidelines (download the PDF or the Word template). And yes, we will check that the font size, margins and general rules about indented stage directions, etc. meet guidelines. Don’t try to cheat the margins or font size to make your play look shorter than it really is.
- We are using Submittable for submissions and tracking.
- Submit your play with the form below between March 15 and April 19, 2020. (Give yourself enough time to address login and internet fickleness! We do not manage your Submittable account or login information - you must go through the Submittable password reset or support to resolve login difficulties.)
- Give us one blind copy of the play in Microsoft Word or PDF. If you cannot submit via electronic submission, please let us know to make arrangements in advance. We do our best to make sure the selection committee doesn't know whose play they are reading. That means there should be nothing in the file that tells us who you are! Tip: To ensure your file really is blind, in the File menu, choose Properties, then wipe out your name that Word puts in there. Save the file, open it and check again.
- The automated notification you receive when submitting is your acknowledgement of receipt. If we have any guideline (or other) issues with the submission, we will contact you as soon as possible.
By submitting the playwright agrees to the following:
- Submitting a script for consideration does not guarantee participation in the festival.
- PCSF reserves the right to disregard submissions that do not meet the guidelines specified above.
- If selected, you will receive notification by email around May 20, 2020.
- Playwrights of selected plays agree to be included in the audience-voting process which will take place after each performance.
- If a selected playwright's membership does not run through at least July 2020, that playwright must renew membership to be included in the Playoffs. This renewal must be processed by May 31st.
For questions please email email@example.com